One of my boyfriend’s favorites when we go out for Italian is Chicken Rollatini – now this dish isn’t really Rollatini since there’s no cheese, but I took what most put out flat on a plate as a layered dish and rolled it up! Added in some spinach to cover the vegetable category and baked it all in a pool of red wine and broth – needless to say the dish was such a hit I don’t think the cheese was even missed. Serve up a piece or two with some spaghetti all’ olio and you’re sure to have rave reviews from everyone around the table.
Tools: Toothpicks and Baking Dish
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Olive Oil
½ a Lemon – Sliced Up
2 Garlic Cloves – Chopped
½ Cup Red Wine
½ Cup Low Sodium / Organic Chicken Broth
(4)Large Chicken Cutlets
1 Package Chopped Frozen Spinach – Thawed
(4) Pieces of Prosciutto
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Directions – Prepping the Baking Dish:
– Pour the red wine and the chicken broth into the dish.
– Sprinkle the garlic all over in the dish.
– Place lemon slices all over in the dish.
Directions – Putting the Chicken Together:
– First season the chicken cutlets by tossing them around in a bowl with a sprinkle of salt, pepper and the garlic powder.
– Next you must season the spinach – place in a bowl and mix 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle of pepper into the spinach.
– Now lay the cutlets flat on a cutting board and place a thin layer of the spinach along the cutlet.
– Next lay one piece of prosciutto along the cutlet.
– Starting from the end closest to you – roll the cutlet going up- roll tightly and secure the roll up with about three to four toothpicks.
*Depending on the size of your cutlets vs. the stuffing the prosciutto may show through beyond the chicken but as you can see from my photo that’s not so bad. Just be sure everything is firmly secured together as one piece with your toothpicks so nothing fall’s out.
– Now lay the roll ups in the baking dish.
– Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top of the roll ups and then drizzle some olive oil over the top.
Directions – Cooking the Roll Ups:
– Place the backing dish in a pre-heated oven of 375 degrees and cook for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
*Don’t forget that side dish – serve with a fresh green salad or for more of an indulgence serve with spaghetti all’ olio.
~ A.M.A. ~
© Cookery for Two – 2011 . Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Cookery for Two with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.