We love Parmesan sandwiches but sometimes they can be overkill with too much sauce and cheese. This version is a bit toned down and I used pork instead of chicken. The lemon dressed arugula adds another level of texture and flavor to the sandwich and ties everything together for a fresh take on the classic Parmesan sandwich – This is a Recipe Real Life re-do!
*** Makes 2 Sandwiches ***
(Ingredients for Cutlets)
(2) Pork Cutlets / Italian Breadcrumbs / Grated Parmesan / 2 Eggs / Flour / Salt / Black Pepper / Garlic Powder / Frying Oil
(Ingredients for Building Sandwich)
(2) Portuguese Rolls / Marinara Sauce / Arugula / Fresh Mozzarella Ball / Garlic Powder / Olive Oil / Lemon / Grated Parmesan / Butter
To Note: I used some defrosted sauce I already had stored in the freezer. The sauce needed for the sandwiches is so minimal that I’d suggest using leftover sauce from another night of cooking or your favorite jarred store bought sauce.
1st Breading your Cutlets
- Prep your space with three containers – one holding the flour, another holding the eggs and the last holding the breadcrumbs.
To Note: I like to season the scrambled eggs with pepper and the breadcrumbs with garlic powder and grated Parmesan.
- Trim the cutlets of any fat and pound them out under plastic wrap to get them nice and thin. You can use a mallet or even a rolling pin to do so.
- Season the cutlets with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Dredge each cutlet into the flour, then into the egg, then into the breadcrumbs and set aside until all the cutlets are done.
- In a frying pan set up the frying oil – set on medium heat.
- While the oil is heating up prep the arugula leaves and mozzarella slices.
- Slice the mozzarella into ¼” slices and place in fridge.
- In a separate bowl take six cups of arugula leaves and toss them with a tablespoon of olive oil and the juice of one lemon. Place in fridge.
- Fry up each cutlet till a nice deep brown crust is formed. Periodically flipping them so they get an even fry.
2nd Put Together the Bread & Sauce
- Slices open the rolls.
- In a microwave safe container melt 1 Tablespoon of butter.
- Once melted combine with 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil, 2 Teaspoons of Garlic Powder, 2 Teaspoons of Grated Parmesan and 1 Teaspoon of Oregano.
- Spread the mixture on each of the four pieces of bread.
- Place in oven to toast.
- While bread is toasting warm up the sauce in a sauce pan. Season or drizzle some EVOO if needed into the sauce.
- Once bread is toasted it’s time to put the sandwich together.
3rd Putting Together the Sandwich
- Take the bottom slice of the roll and place on a plate.
- Place a bunch of the arugula leaves on the slice.
- Then place a cutlet onto the arugula.
- Next spoon about two tablespoons of sauce onto the cutlet.
- Then place two slices of the mozzarella and close the sandwich with the top portion of the roll.
- Cut in half and serve on a plate with a portion of the arugula leaves.
- You can also pair the sandwiches with some grilled veggies or a tomato and balsamic salad.
© Cookery for Two – 2015 . Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Cookery for Two with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.