Let’s be real most recipes for vodka sauce call for such a minimal amount of vodka that the vodka is really not even a necessary ingredient. In fact you could really call vodka sauce a tomato cream sauce because that’s just what it is. The most important base for this recipe is a great tomato sauce with the addition of a buttered heavy cream. Pour this rich and creamy sauce over hot pasta and sprinkle with grated parmesan. It’s simple, minimal in ingredients and sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Seasonings: Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper, Hot Pepper Flakes
2 Tablespoons – Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons – Butter
Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 Pint – Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup – Red Wine
3 Fresh Basil Leaves – Chopped
3 Cloves of Garlic – Chopped
(1) Can Crushed Tomatoes
(1) Can Tomato Paste
(1) Box Penne Pasta
Directions for Tomato Sauce:
-In a sauce pan brown the garlic in the olive oil.
– Now throw the basil into the oil.
– Then add in the can of crushed tomatoes and the red wine.
– Now put in the tomato paste and sprinkle in salt, pepper, garlic power and hot pepper flakes to taste.
– Spin all together and cover to let simmer on low heat while preparing the heavy cream.
*Mix sauce periodically.
Directions for Heavy Cream:
– In a separate sauce pan melt the butter on medium heat.
– Once melted add in the heavy cream.
– Very often you must whisk the heavy cream as it heats up.
– You will notice the heavy cream will start to foam up and you will have to whisk so it does not overflow.
– After this goes on for about a minute or so you can lower the heat and simmer on low for another minute but continue whisking.
– When completed add the heavy cream to the tomato sauce.
Directions – Final Steps:
– Be sure the heavy cream and tomato sauce is melded together.
– Keep simmering on low while you boil the penne off to the side.
– Once pasta is boiled – drain the pasta and then combine with the sauce.
– Sprinkle in a tablespoon of grated parmesan and mix again in the sauce pan.
Plate, Serve & Enjoy!
*Don’t forget to serve this with some Italian bread to sop up that delicious sauce.
*A traditional addition to Penne Alla Vodka is usually bits of prosciutto. Chop up small bits of prosciutto and cook them up with the garlic in the directions for the tomato sauce.
*Note you can always add in shrimp or slices of grilled chicken to this recipe too.
~ A.M.A. ~
© Cookery for Two – 2011 . Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Cookery for Two with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.